[lbo-talk] Are Galloway's politics contemptible?

www.leninology. blogspot.com leninology at hotmail.com
Sun May 22 23:43:43 PDT 2005

In fact, there is no doubt that Galloway uttered the words referred to. It's on video. What is in some doubt is whether he is in fact a Saddamite. He made his debut in Iraq in order to secure some agreement to help stop the sanctions regime. His record of opposing Saddam until that point was second-to-none. He says in his book that he was overcome by emotion at the suffering he saw, and had intended his words for the Iraqi people, not Saddam.

In other words, he would have it that his statement was badly judged, not a deliberate encomium for someone whom he has described as a "cruel tyrant". Given his record of antipathy to Hussein's regime, I suggest there are reasons for accepting this as the most likely explanation.