[lbo-talk] Rosenberg Execution (was: The STFU left

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun May 22 22:22:39 PDT 2005

Never mind the respect JR's KGB controllers may have had for him. He was convicted for giving the Soviets crude drawings of "lenses" or shaped pieces of high explosive necessary to compress a sphere of plutonium oe U-238 to critical mass. The problem is that if the lenses are not precisely engineered the stuff just squirts and you get radioactive dust, no chain reaction, no explosion. It is absolutely crucial that the mathematics and engineering of the lenses be perfect.

The solution to these problems strained the greatest minds in world physics. JR totally lacked the knowledge and technical ability to provide the solution they came up with, and did not have the contacts to get that accurate information from people who did have it -- like Klaus Fuchs. What he gave the Rsussians was worthless. Garbage. It did not accelerate the Soviet nuclear program by 10 minutes.

This is irrelevant to whether JR violated the Espionage Act, he did -- but just to be clear -- as a spy, he was a flop.

The rest of the post is fairly accurate.

* * * *

Why does anyone case about this shit anymore? I know this stuff because back when there was a Cold War I taught classes on it and when then was a US-Soviet arns race I organized against it and researched the issues. Now this is ancient history.

If there is a reason that dragging up Hiss and the Rosenbergs and all this crap is a bad idea if conducted in any other spirit that chilly and disinterested historical inquiry, it is because it still has, for most of those who know or care about it, the resonance it has back when it was a live issue.

The R's & Hiss were never about Communism (Soviet Threat, Red Menace, etc.). Their cases were part of the attack on the New Deal and the welfare state: see, the New Dealers are all commie traitors! I don't say we should deny what's true, e.g., that JR was an atomic spy, if a bad one. But at this point liberalsim needs our defense, and there isn't even a Soviet Union around to associate with it. Pick your fights.

Peple like Mike P and Charles B who are still interesting in fighting about an ex-country with a dead religion was a good idea are wasting their time and everyone else's. We need people fighting the Patriot Act, supporing single payer, opposing bad judges and the Iraq War and the rest of the Bushie agenda.

Stalin was a bloody tyrant, take it as read. Lenin was too, if you like, I don't care, does it matter any more? Trotsky was a tyrant when he had a chance. Soviet Communsim was not the worker's p[aradise it aspired to be, and ultimately failed and disappeared. It's not clear that there was any particularly good alternative, but suppose we say that Kerensky could have established a modern liberal democratic republic that would have made Russia a modern European state -- I don't believe it, but say it was so --, so the whole Soviet experiment was a disaster. What does it matter? The CPUSA members who shut their eyes to the crimes of Lenin and Stalin did some great things here but deceived themselves or worse. Take it as read. Move fucking on. This is boring and pointless.

jks

jks