[lbo-talk] Gandhi & Bose; the politics of Indian history

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Mon May 23 07:30:52 PDT 2005

On 05/23/05 01:09, Autoplectic wrote:

> But the biggest reason for Bose's renewed popularity, analysts say,
> probably has more to do with India's changing self-image, from an
> underdeveloped, aid-dependent champion of the Non-Aligned Movement to
> a rising economic power with nuclear weapons and an increasingly
> important role on the world stage.
>
> In that context, Bose -- a militant nationalist and revolutionary --
> has become for many Indians a more compelling symbol of India's
> independence struggle than the ascetic and pacifist Gandhi, especially
> among the fast-growing middle class.

that much is probably correct. hopefully, such fads will come to pass, as gandhi implied in his response to the bose and testosterone induced protests of my father: "time runs in my favour. i remain content to be misunderstood". at least my dad did get over it... ;-)

> With minimal support from the Japanese, Bose's army was never more
> than an irritant on the battlefield. In the aftermath of the Japanese
> surrender, Bose flew to Taiwan, where he was reported to have died in
> a plane crash on Aug. 18,1945.

so, the real question remains: now that gandhi has been dismissed as unfashionable, when can we expect the che-like bose t-shirts for a generation of ipod rebels?

--ravi