[lbo-talk] The STFU left

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon May 23 06:53:18 PDT 2005

Chuck:
> There are plenty of signs that the left, generally speaking, is growing
> in the U.S. I think many of these people tend to shun labels or
> affiliations at this point.

Really? Then check this out: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4662275

I've seen similar attitudes quite frequently in suburban or small-town MD and PA - the "working masses" showing their gung-ho attitudes about "our war effort" and "our president," their affection for Wal-Mart or Jesus (or both), their hatred of France, John Kerry and Fonda Jane - and they do not mind showing it - on their t-shirts, flags, bumper stickers, signs. I see more pro-Bush bumper stickers now than before the election.

And then there are those who do not care about President Bush and his war, moral values, and Jesus. Perhaps they are not the majority, but their numbers grow steadily. However, they do not care about anything else either, except perhaps shopping and celebrities.

If you think that the "working masses" in this country are about to embrace anything even mildly left of the center - think twice, visit your local Wal-Mart, Gander Mt., or Target super center, or a bowling alley, or a flea-market, or a volunteer fire company, or a Cineplex showing the newest sequel of the Star Wars for that matter, and then think again.

The only oases where anything left-of-the center still manages to hold to its dear life in this country are college campuses and bohemian quarters in a few larger cities - not to mention a few remaining holdouts in the Democratic party which will soon be voted out existence by this good god-fearing and celebrity-venerating folk.

Wojtek