[lbo-talk] Re: Rosenbergs/Espionage

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 15:34:15 PDT 2005

--- Turbulo at aol.com wrote:

> Justin wrote
>

> > Conspiracy is just a form of accomplice liability,
> > it's an agreement to do something criminal. The
> > criminal thing, the main thing, was espionage. The
> > Espionage Act, 18 USC sec 794, provides for the
> death
> > penalty, 794(a), and it has a conspiracy
> provision,
> > 794(c), which says that all the conspirators get
> the
> > same penalty, The R's were the last people
> capitally
> > convicted under this law, which was codified
> > differently at the time. jks
> >

> But, in order to convict for conspiracy, is it
> necessary to prove any
> concrete acts of espionage, or only that the accused
> conspirators combined with the
> purpose of committing it?

Depends. Don't know that statute. Dtug conspiracy under current federtal law, all you need is the bare agreement to do something illegal. Normally, and I would guess at that time under that lae, but it is just a guess, you need agreement plus some overt act that is a concrete step in furtherance of the conspiracy. as I recall the facts of the case as present, Ethel's overt act, I forget, was it was that she was supposed to have hidden classified papers in a false-bottomed coffee table? Or it may have been the typing thing you mention, that would do it. It doesn't have to be much.

The Schneiers, in Invitation to an Inquest, prove, to my way of thinking, that the cases against both of them were a total frame up. (My dad thought so too, and he was no left wing conspiracy nut.) The diff was, Julius was actually guilty. With respect to him, the FBI, like Hank Quinlan in Welles' Touch of Evil, hadn't framed anybody . . . anybody who wasn't guilty. The Schneiers, I now believe, concede that Julius was probably guilty on the basis of the Vernoa material.

Regardless of whether Julius was guilty of spying on the US on behalf of an ally, as the Russians were at the time, I think might we find it disturbing that he was framed, if in fact he was. This quite apart from the issue of whether anyone should be executed for anything, or if they should, for anything other than capital murder with aggravating circumstances; and then there is the little detail about framing and executing the wholly innocent Ethel jsut to put pressure on Julius. An ugly business.