[lbo-talk] Democrats lost again

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Wed May 25 07:55:55 PDT 2005

Obviously, they were foreordained to lose, so this isn't surprising, nor is the way that the Blue Dogs cut the deal all that surprising, either. I'm not sure what their thinking is; apparently they wanted to preserve the "principle" of the filibuster, even though Frist will clearly go for the "nuclear option" again if they ever decide to actually use the filibuster in practice. Some of them may be genuinely attached to the idea of preserving the Senate's bizarre rules and "tradition" -- moreso than they were enamored of the idea of keeping bug-eyed lunatics off the federal bench.

Wojtek writes:

> Thus, the plain god-fearing folk of this land reached their heart's
> ideal: no political bickering, mud slinging and confusing debates,
> no alien ideas and agitation, no political uncertainty or confusion,
> everything now made plain and homey -- Ein volk, ein Partei,
> ein Fuehrer.

Your schtick is only occasionally amusing and often tiresome, and I know that you will not give it up no matter how much evidence to the contrary, but I'll give it a brief try. The polls indicate that a majority was opposed to the rule change, particularly when the question was phrased to make clear that the rule change was for the sake of Bush nominees. In fact, a TWO-THIRDS majority opposed the change:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2004/10/26/AR2005032201677.html

Further, you like to focus on working- and lower-class reactionaries, but every survey and poll -- and indeed, a lot of personal experience should say the same if you're paying attention -- indicates that US elections are still as class-polarized as in any other country. Even among whites, the poorer you are, the more likely you are to vote Democratic. I shouldn't have to say this, but I will pre-empt your predictable response: in no way am I trying to make excuses for stupidity among the working class, or to romanticize the "common folk." But I am saying that the facts are depressing enough without your relentless misanthropy to make things seem worse than they really are.