[lbo-talk] Tampa Bay: hotbed of hate groups

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 26 10:42:08 PDT 2005

ugh.

I just heard on WMNF.org that PIE-nellas county has the most hate groups in FL. FL has, for its population, the most hate groups, according to this map of 2001.

http://www.tolerance.org/maps/hate/index.html

This particular map doesn't explain how PIEnellas co. has the most hate groups, so I don't know where this caller got the info.

I'm wondering if Chip has more info. Also, I'd characterize this county has pretty PMC -- by contrast to, say, Lakeland and Central FL. Indeed, people on the coast tend to characterize themselves as progressives by comparison to the "rednecks" who, ostensibly, live in C. Florida -- the Bible Best runs mostly in C. FL.

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling