[lbo-talk] Tampa Bay: hotbed of hate groups

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu May 26 11:43:32 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

> ugh.
>
> I just heard on WMNF.org that PIE-nellas county has the most hate groups
> in FL. FL has, for its population, the most hate groups, according to
> this map of 2001.
>
> http://www.tolerance.org/maps/hate/index.html
>
> This particular map doesn't explain how PIEnellas co. has the most hate
> groups, so I don't know where this caller got the info.

Probably because so many people have moved to Florida for the climate. You'll notice on that same map that there are no hate groups in South Dakota, North Dakota, and Alaska. Bless your sunny climate for your surfeit of hate groups.

What you all need in Florida is some Anti-Racist Action chapters and some solid community activist organizations. ARA seems to do a good job of undermining the right wing and community groups get the media attention to put the spotlight on these groups.

A few months ago some fascist group was talking about moving their group to Kansas City, Kansas. The media picked up on this and community groups, politicians, and activists were organized against this group overnight. I even found out that we had an ARA network here and that they were ready to deal out some violence to the fascists if they came to town. This group discovered that the Kansas City area is pretty inhospitable to hate groups, so they cancelled their plans.

I think they stayed in Florida.

Chuck