[lbo-talk] Tampa Bay: hotbed of hate groups

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 26 19:42:21 PDT 2005

At 10:17 PM 5/26/2005, W. Kiernan wrote:

>I think the window Kyle broke was in the office building on the Northeast
>corner of U.S. 19 and Drew. Shortly after the apparition (mineral deposit
>from a sprinkler fed by a shallow well) hit all the papers and the evening
>news - there were hordes of sightseers, I saw them - this one pilgrim
>parked his car in the shopping center lot on the Northwest corner of the
>intersection. He strode into the ten lanes of high-speed traffic, staring
>at the miraculous pane; a car hit him and he died. I remember thinking I
>ought to get a BB gun or a hammer and smash the stupid thing myself before
>anybody else got killed.

Yeah, it was just down the street for the old 'hood! And, I remember hearing about this story after I moved here. I think you filled Frances Bolton and me in on the whole thing on this list during the first year of its infancy.

IT was pretty amazing. Years after Mary appeared, there were still people coming every day, usually on Sunday, to sit on white plastic Walmart chairs. They built a podium for sermons -- or whatever went on. Always people living flowers, real, silk, plastic, as monuments to the miracle Mary. The biggest attendees, just from a scan of the faces, were mostly Latino/a. Big motif.

Reminds me. The puppy created a pile that reminded me of Dick Cheney. Think I could auction it at eBay.

There's another monument to u.s. religious zealotry across the road now: The Jack Russell Memorial Stadium/Bright House Networks Field, where the Phillies play exhibition games.

Now I live in Greekland. It's like My Big Fat Greek Wedding 24/7 sometimes. I love it.

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling