[lbo-talk] Mao: the Unknown Story

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 28 15:12:44 PDT 2005

Michael Pugliese wrote:

>For all
>practical purposes I'm a left-wing social democrat. In American terms,
>that is now far, far left.

And for all practical purposes, that's about the limits of politics right now. If forced, I'd have to classify myself as one of those too, though the fantasy of something more radical persists. Somewhere, somehow, someday. But what's the point of focusing on this:

> But, the noisiest sectors of the American
>Left over the period of our decline from the strength we had in the
>late 60's, have made going to too many demos these days, painful, to
>see the abundent kookery and demogogy and sloppy non-thinking, from
>the stages and tablers.

They're a curiosity, but of almost no consequence. Why spend so much time obsessing about them, other than possible entertainment value?

Doug