[lbo-talk] (no subject)

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sun May 29 15:04:01 PDT 2005

On 5/29/05, Paul <paul_ at igc.org> wrote:
> The polls have just closed in Paris and Lyon. The exit polls show a 55.6%
> vote for the Non. The first major electoral defeat for neo-liberalism in
> Europe.

I'm terrified of exit polls (obvious reasons) and praying this one is accurate. Combined with the French dockers' union's blockade of Irish Ferries due to its employment of cheap foreign labour (it was discovered last month that they were paying a Filipina beautician €1 -

that's about $1.30 - an hour), I'm just full of the warm fuzzies for the French this weekend.

Not all their motives are as pure as opposing neo-liberalism of course (and I know you weren't saying they are, Paul). A French guy I met last night told me he was voting no "To keep Turkey out". I didn't get the impression it was their human rights record he was concerned with.