[lbo-talk] Rushdie: Just give me that old-time atheism!

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 10:09:07 PDT 2005

--- Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote: Instead,
> agnosticism is the way to go. We have to admit that
> it's only a
> working hypothesis that supernatural beings don't
> exist. It's a
> working hypothesis that's worked pretty well over
> the years.

It looks to be that science as such can not inform us with direct information about being. It can give us models by which we can control the environment. That's ok; however a lot of 19th century materialism, marxism included, does not deal with the question of being or disposes of the question, thinking it has been resolved by science.

I sometimes though think agnosticism is a cop-out, too, though a cop-out that I am prone to use myself :) The issue of being and consciousness cannot be resolved so let's just let it be so and turn to other issues.