[lbo-talk] Rushdie: Just give me that old-time atheism!

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Mon May 30 18:01:09 PDT 2005

On May 30, 2005, at 10:09 AM, Jim Devine wrote:

> Just because we don't know that something exists (or we believe that
> it doesn't exist) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. After all, there are
> lots of forces and subatomic particles now hypothesized by physics
> that we didn't know about a decade or so ago.
>
> Thus, there may be some kind of "God" out there (though I wouldn't
> bet on it).

Along route 30 nw of Portland OR the small and storefront churches have signs that compete for the most witty aphorism re god and jesus. One that I particularly liked was "god is unknown and unknowable" (probably paraphrasing). It worked for me. Whatever is beyond the edge of your human knowledge. Brings in self-knowledge and the borders of physical science. The beyond, and it's catchy.

Martin