[lbo-talk] Re: Vive La France! - Kremlin headache, Kremlin opportunity

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 14:15:45 PDT 2005

Well, an email list is not a forum that lends itself to deep analysis, especially on such a big, complicated subject as the history of the Balts/USSR, which requires volumes of books to do justice to.

What gets me with the Balts is their courting as fellow anti-Soviet martyr -- GEORGIA! Who did all these awful things to them? A GEORGIAN. Who's still got a giant statue of Stalin in a public place? GEORGIA. Who, according to people I know who have gone to Georgia as tourists recently, are still passing out guidebooks on the Great Stalin? GEORGIANS. Where is the Stalin Museum located? GEORGIA. According to the Guardian, on Dutch radio, to what famous Georgian figures does Saakashvili think of himself as the inheritor to? You know, those two GEORGIAN guys whose names begin with S and B. It's freakish.

--- Peter Lavelle <untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I, of course, liked Pankratov's eXile piece. But at
> the same time, my mission is to try to understand
> the
> present and future. Being a former academic
> historian,
> I know we can debate about the meaning of the past
> for
> decades - even generations - that is the nature of
> history. Sadly, on this list, history is often a
> checklist of items without meaning or context (or
> even
> reasonable intellectual reflection).

Nu, zayats, pogodi!