[lbo-talk] The Lizard Brain. Was On Staying the Course

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 08:39:17 PDT 2005

CC writes:>Moreover, it makes perfect sense to take a nap, go to a brothel, wash the dishes, chat one's neighbor about morel-hunting, watch a movie, take a walk in the park, pay the utility bill, or just loaf rather than even _listen_ to arguments against going along. So before presenting contrary facts one has to present a reason for wanting to hear the facts. And before presenting that reason one has to catch someone's attention & persuade them to listen. Only then to facts or arguments begin to make any difference.<

one reason why people don't want to hear about "why we shouldn't go along" (with our leaders, etc.) is that people often don't want to get into conflicts. I say "there isn't any god" and there's likely someone who says there is, usually leading to an emotional scene (or obscure argument) that's unsettling. Many say that they'd rather watch sit-coms or Law & Order reruns on TV... If there are any conflicts on those shows, they are inconsequential for most viewers, since they don't involve the viewers directly or any real feelings. JD