[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignorance (Rushdie: Just give me that old-time atheism!)

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 10:11:44 PDT 2005

whew! I thought that my early-onset Alzheimer's was worse than I thought.

JF meant to say:>... why is some god or other existing ... any less probable ... than some god or other *not* existing? according to what criteria of probability and according to what understanding of "god"?<

from what I've seen, all of the claims that god, goddess, gods, and/or goddesses exist are less probable than their not existing. But it's possible that the religious folks are making their claims incorrrectly.

My point is that some things may exist that we currently don't see as probable. For all we know, there may be a Force, so that a Chosen One _could_ restore the balance of the Force (rather than finking out and becoming Darth Vader).

BTW, I'm told that there really are folks who believe in the Force and all that. It's sorta reminiscent of a sci-fi book I read once in which the survivors of a plague started worshiping Charlie Manson.

JD