[lbo-talk] Let's review basic social science (was 'Desertion Rates')

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 10:53:22 PDT 2005

Doug:

What was your point in forwarding this Michael?

Michael P:

My general skepticism about soundbite claims,from activists on the Left who don't bother to question the agit-prop of their sides more hyperbolic advocates.

===========================

OK, I dig it.

People have a tendency to believe whatever reinforces their view of things.

That's why anti-queer folks tend to jump panther quick onto whatever stories seem to confirm their fever dream idea of what queerness means.

And...racists raise a glass of their finest ale whenever someone writes or says that non-white folks are fundamentally dumber, more prone to violence and other rude and endlessly rehashed notions (always treated as if they're shocking proof or uncovered revelations).

There are other, less dramatic examples.

So yes, it's quite alright to ask the question: okay, we lefties who oppose the occupation believe the 100,000 figure but is it true?

Uh huh, that's a valid question. Accuracy's a beautiful thing even if it's about the ugliest elements.

But to describe (by implication this time) the Lancet study as **agit-prop** or the work of **hyperbolic advocates** -- even though hyper ventilators have used the information to continue their hyper ventilations -- is really a big old step off the ranch.

C'mon now bro; you know this, yes?

I mean, we have to be skeptical about our skepticism (especially if we seem to love it too much and it leads us astray, like snickers bars or vodka).

.d.