[lbo-talk] Israel, South Africa revive defense ties after 15-year hiatus

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Tue May 31 16:59:03 PDT 2005

http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=200229&area=/insight/insight__national/

SA sells arms to hot spots

Nic Dawes

24 March 2005 12:13

South Africa’s vaunted arms control legislation is not preventing local companies from selling weapons to countries with appalling human rights records, and to governments involved in some of the world’s nastier conflicts.

The latest report of the national conventional arms control committee, which must approve all South African arms exports, shows that exports increased by 20% to R3,1-billion in 2003. They were helped by sales to countries with poor human rights records including Swaziland, Côte d'Ivoire, the Philippines, Colombia, Guinea, Algeria, Nepal, China and Pakistan.

(snip)