[lbo-talk] Re: Egalitarian Finland most competitive, too

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 04:22:16 PST 2005

Having just got back from Finland I can confirm that the country works as well as you would expect. The only problem for anyone thinking of decamping to Finland is that the signs are all but incomprehensible. But having one's head in a textbook learning the inessive case seems like a small price to pay when you're back in London stuck in a tunnel between Waterloo and Kennington.

I also like the fact that the Finnish were ashamed of being so unfit in the 70s and decided to become fitter. The obesity rate is now 11pc, compared to 22pc in Britain. There were as many bicycles on the roads as cars (that isn't an exaggeration) in the town where I was staying, and cycle lanes are everywhere. They also have this weird Nordic walking thing with poles going on, and I saw lots of elderly people out walking. Also, everybody has to keep the front of their house clear of snow so that people can continue to jog and walk in the middle of winter. (an article on it is here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8127-1084068,00.html)

I also saw a bit of graffiti that read: "Vegan Punx".

Simon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20051026/ts_csm/osocialfin;_ylt=AqP.qHFh2KxOXXQjplvkb8QDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/content/2005-10/25trigona.cfm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1845665,00.html