[lbo-talk] ANSWER interferes with anti-Minuteman protest

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 11:11:58 PST 2005

On Friday, November 04, 2005 10:25 AM [PDT], Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:

> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>
>> I think it's gossip, jealousy and slandermongering due to
>> "territorial imperatives" within the Alpha (as in type A
>> personality) organizer "community" [snicker into cuff].
>>
>> Typical of ineffectual people.

> As a member of the effectual-based organizer community, I find this
> anecdote to be illustrative of what happens when some real organizing
> happens and isn't controlled by jealous sectarians such as Richard
> Becker.
>
> Kind of puts a lie on the image of ANSWER being a diverse coaliton.
> That
> was always a bunch of bullshit anyway.

My point being, responses... little slams and personality oriented attacks as entered on the angryyoungwhitekid blog are a waste of time... "creeping ineffectuality".

IMHO, if you ignore the nuisances, first they lash out, then they go away. Abbie Hoffman put a twist on an old activist thought (I think Saul Alinsky):

If you react to criticism, you end up doing everyone's "thing" but "your own". Also, if you're busy compiling a list of critiques, the same applies.

Critiquing other organizations is a waste... more disruptive of your own organization's activities than the group you're busy "ancedotalizing".

Anyone who "needs to know" ...whatever... about them, already does.

IMHO

Leigh