[lbo-talk] The Empire's Freedom

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Nov 5 05:36:56 PST 2005

-------------------------------- Sure, but not to the point that these rights - and the social benefits they made possible - are no longer considered relevant to those in power or to those who exercise them. The problem with rights of any kind is that they're always in danger of being subverted if they're not built on. You can blame the political and union leaders supported by working people for allowing and even being complicit in the steady erosion of hard-won gains, but weak or corrupt leadership, while a factor, is more an effect than a cause of an adverse balance of forces rooted in changing historical circumstances. This is worth emphasizing because where this is not acknowleged on the left, along with the continuing importance of these reforms and need to defend them, it usually results in fatalism or political behaviour which reinforces political isolation. I don't include you in this group, BTW, to forestall any possible misunderstanding.