[lbo-talk] The Empire's Freedom

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 5 06:37:47 PST 2005

Marvin Gandall wrote:

>>>winning these two fundamental democratic rights - to unionize and to vote
>>
>>In America, both those things are pretty fucked.
>>
>>Doug
>Sure, but not to the point that these rights - and the social benefits they
>made possible - are no longer considered relevant to those in power or to
>those who exercise them.

There is effectively no right to organize in the US for most workers. Sure it's available in theory, but in practice, forget about it. I had two people from UE on the radio, and an international observer from Nigeria, the other night to talk about public workers in North Carolina, where it is illegal for them to bargain collectively. (That's also true of Virginia.) Is there any other place in the civilized world that has such a law?

Doug