[lbo-talk] The Empire's Freedom

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Nov 5 09:11:15 PST 2005

------------------------------------- So what conclusion should we draw from this - that if the Bush administration were improbably to abolish unions and collective agreements at a stroke tomorrow, it wouldn't matter? That if the labour movement, feeble as it is, were to respond with demonstrations - and, heaven forbid, job actions - against such a measure, we wouldn't turn out in support? And, if we did, why we would bother to do so if current union rights, as you say, are not merely hemmed in with restrictions but are available only "in theory" to "most workers"? Are you really saying that the denial of bargaining rights to public employees in North Carolina, Virginia, and other so-called "right to work" Sun Belt states is true for the majority of the US working class? I agree with you that the US, in this area as in so many others concerning the public welfare, badly lags the rest of the "civilized world", but I think in this instance you're allowing your righteous anger to badly skew your perspective.