[lbo-talk] Rhizomatic?

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 06:54:55 PST 2005

It is definitely from Deleuze and Guattari, though not just Anti-Oedipus. It also figures into most of their theory of schizoanalysis, particularly in Thousand Plateaus. As for why they choose rhizome, it is, as in this sentence, supposed to be opposed to the hierarchy of the "arborescent" (tree-like, i.e. deep roots, towering structure). Maybe it's just because they thought the term "Rhizomatic" sounds cool. You have to admit, as academic terms go, there are some very nice consonants working together in that one.

I suspect someone knows of where they might have defended this choice of term or why biological metaphors were the starting point. And maybe they can answer this as well: D&G suggest the rhizomatic as a strategy for challenging the supposedly dominant tree-like power, but when Hardt and Negri use it, they are basically talking about capital working this way as well. Considering the predominance of corporate conglomerates, I don't understand this use: and since the latter also pose the multitude as a sort of rhizomatic movement, how do they square even their own claim with the original meaning: if the rhizomatic is effective because power is arborescent, how is it still effective if power and capital are also rhizomatic? Makes the "snake-oil" thesis seem more convincing.

-s