[lbo-talk] James Boyle: Webs never-to- be-repeated revolution

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 8 06:33:49 PST 2005

info at pulpculture.org wrote:

> Marx hoped we'd socialize production and come to see how we are dependent
> on one another in order to live.
>
> Advertising on the Internets (as its done elsewhere, but its soooo stark on
> the Internets) obscures the possibility of seeing our interdependence. Adn,
> it's turning us all into little petty bourgs, without even realizing it.
>
> Well, it's turning enough people into such things and that's just enough
> for that segment of the population to glue themselves to the real petty
> bourgs and identify with them and their causes and intersts, rather than
> seeing themselves as members of "the working class".

Explain. How so?

As far as petty-producer consciousness goes, that's been the default nature of most working-class culture for at least a century, so I don't see how it's any different now.

Consciousness changes in action, not in passive responses to information or ideas. So it has always been, and I see no change.

Carrol