[lbo-talk] Why are the US-ers such assholes?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 8 08:22:35 PST 2005

N P Childs wrote:

>Years ago I spent about three weeks arguing with some dip who called
>himself 'Duke Nukem' about politics, loads of laughs. He trotted out
>the usual right wing, own guns and 'live free or die' shit even
>while he admitted that, yes, he lived rent free in his parents
>basement, but if he CHOSE to he could have the 8000 square foot
>house and the pneumatic blonde that came with it. This was just what
>we was doing for now, that and working PT at Blockbuster. He's
>probably over posted there now telling the French how to deal with
>millions of pissed off people fed up with a racist society.

I was just at one of the periodic economic updates at the Council on Foreign Relations, starring Mickey Levy (cheerleading right-winger from Bank of America), Peter Hooper (self-i.d.'d "gradualist" from Deutsche Bank), and Steven Roach (gloomster from Morgan Stanley). The consensus was that it's hoped that the riots don't deter European politicians from their "resolve" to cut back the welfare state and liberalize the labor market.

Doug