[lbo-talk] Today is . . .

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 09:29:44 PST 2005

--- Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> > The 88th aniversary of the October Revolution --
> which occurred in
> > November by the Western calendar.
>
> and which just this year in Russia has been changed
> to "National Liberation
> from Poland" day.
>
> Ah, those Poles. They have been such oppressors of
> their neighbors :o)

Technically it was the Poles, Swedes and those seemingly ever-present Cossacks with the wicked False Dmitry. I would guess that event was chosen since it falls around the same day as Revo Day.

Revo Day hasn't been Revo Day for some time -- it was changed to Day of Agreement and Reconciliation.

I must admit that I miss Revo Day, but really having a holiday commemorating something a large minority thinks was bad is kinda silly. It would be like having Burning of Atlanta Day. (The point of the change was to avoid the divisiveness.)

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click. http://farechase.yahoo.com