[lbo-talk] Re: Why do English speaking folk have penchant for feudal theocracies?

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 8 10:22:29 PST 2005

> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why do English speaking folk have penchant for
> feudal theocracies?
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
>
> Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
> >I never could grasp it why English speaking folk on both sides of the pond
> >make such a big fuss over Tibet?
>
> Early in the life of this list James Heartfield wrote a post that's
> still one of my favorites.
>
> Doug
[...]

There's a Michael Parenti piece regarding this http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html I'm usually kind of wary of Parenti's stuff, but this one was pretty interesting. It ends with: ----------------------------------------------------------------- In 1996, the Dalai Lama issued a statement that must have had an unsettling effect on the exile community. It reads in part as follows:

Of all the modern economic theories, the economic system of Marxism is founded on moral principles, while capitalism is concerned only with gain and profitability. Marxism is concerned with the distribution of wealth on an equal basis and the equitable utilization of the means of production. It is also concerned with the fate of the working classes-that is the majority---as well as with the fate of those who are underprivileged and in need, and Marxism cares about the victims of minority-imposed exploitation. For those reasons the system appeals to me, and it seems fair. . . I think of myself as half-Marxist, half-Buddhist.47

And more recently in 2001, while visiting California, he remarked that "Tibet, materially, is very, very backward. Spiritually it is quite rich. But spirituality can't fill our stomachs."48 Here is a message that should be heeded by the well-fed Buddhist proselytes in the West who wax nostalgic for Old Tibet.

What I have tried to challenge is the Tibet myth, the Paradise Lost image of a social order that actually was a retrograde theocracy of serfdom and poverty, where a favored few lived high and mighty off the blood, sweat, and tears of the many. It was a long way from Shangri-La.