[lbo-talk] What's the Matter With Kansas This Week

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Nov 12 20:08:03 PST 2005

Paul writes:

> I have never heard of Edmund Eisenhower

That was me who wrote that, Michael P, not Michael H. And I'm sorry, I meant Edgar. And you're of course right that Milton was in Agriculture and PR, not education.

Just for the rest of the footnotes, Ida his mother was originally a Mennonite from Pennsylvania. She met and married his father, David Eisenhower, in Kansas, when both lived at a River Brethren settlement. David Sr's retail store collapsed during a bad depression, and he went to Texas for work, during which Ike was born, after which they moved back to Kansas. But the family was as "originally" from Kansas as anyone can claim to be, Ike spent his entire childhood in Abilene, Kansas from the age of 1 on and was always identified with it. And in terms of his relation to small town life, football and his father, I think his childhood was as perfect an illustration of their small town ideals and worldview as you can get.

Michael