[lbo-talk] Abortion: a Women's Issue

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Nov 13 00:24:44 PST 2005

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
> >As I told Michael offlist, the Republicans understand that
> >overturning Roe v. Wade would be political suicide. More than a few
> >analysts have pointed out that the Republicans can't risk alienating
> >women voters who they've been courting for many years.
>
> I'll point out again that men are actually somewhat more supportive
> of abortion rights than women. It's not a "women's" issue.
>
> Doug

Numbers alone don't suffice when we consider what makes a "women's issue." Men, both in support and opposition, do not feel as strongly about the right and access to abortion as women, again both in support and opposition, do:

(Abortion a More Powerful Issue for Women, April 23, 2004, <http:// people-press.org/commentary/display.php3?AnalysisID=88>)</blockquote>

Taking both intensity and number into account, more women than men make abortion their issue and get involved in electoral and social- movement activism about it. That is natural, since men don't get pregnant. For leftists, what's crucial is the proportion of women who "strongly oppose more restrictions on abortion" (33%) versus the proportion of women who "strongly favor greater restrictions" (19%) (and consider that numbers on support for and opposition to greater restrictions do not necessarily square with numbers on whether abortion is morally right or wrong polled by Gallup <http:// mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of- Mon-20051031/023862.html>).

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>