[lbo-talk] two views of the French riots

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 09:03:56 PST 2005

Maybe in 10 years. As I said before, Russia does not have ethnic neighborhoods. Moreover, the Caucasian and Central Asian Gastarbeiterin are mostly migrant workers/traders. Ergo, nobody to riot/rebel/whatever. (Well, skinheads could riot, but that's not the kind of thing we're talking about.)

Ethnic violence in the Caucasus is another issue. A while ago there was a big scuffle in a village in Kalmykia (described, once again, as a pogrom) between the Kalmyk and Russian villagers on the one hand and Chechens on the other for some reason I don't remember. But the Caucasus is so ridiculously multiethnic that that's more like the Hatfields and the McCoys than a France-type thing.

--- Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote: KARIN KLIMAN (translated): I ride the subway every day and it's a real struggle. So if there is a revolt by one category of people, by the poor or by migrants, then another category of people would react accordingly and very cruelly. They would probably form some units or patrols, pick up clubs and fight.

Without a doubt, the reaction of Russian authorities would be much harsher than the reaction of even the French Government.

The people who dare to revolt would probably be called, not just hooligans, but also terrorists.

It would be very rough, very cruel and probably partly for that reason, people are still afraid to take to the streets to cross this line.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click. http://farechase.yahoo.com