[lbo-talk] Why are we still turning to Dylan for the soundtrack to our demonstrations?

Louis Kontos Louis.Kontos at liu.edu
Mon Nov 14 21:28:24 PST 2005

People have always felt the need to project their own failures on Dylan. He's like a screen. I mean the man has written over a thousand songs (!), reworked several genre of music and changed the way most of us understand music -- not just protest music. None of this can be denied. Yet many people still feel the need to say the kind of stuff Mike B says below. Mr. Jones (Ballad of a Thin Man) is about people who seem to know everything and really know nothing. Mr. Jones would say things like 'I like Hollis Brown and, of course..' as if his likes and dislikes are supposed to mean anything. Mike B, Joanna, etc., can you tell us what makes any of Dylan's early music better than the albums Blood on the Tracks, Desire, Street Legal, or any of Dylan's recent albums? What makes Hollis Brown more political than Political World, Changing of the Guards, Dark Eyes, Cat's in the Well, etc. etc.? It's a lot easier to label a single artist as a poseur, sell-out, religious fanatic (did I miss anything?) than to come to terms with real failure.