[lbo-talk] The Searchers

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 15 03:01:47 PST 2005

Brian wrote:

>> But of course this is even more support for your underlying
>> argument that the Searchers was by no means the end of the tradition.
>
> THE SEARCHERS seems to loom large in any discussion of the
> Western. While I am not a fan of John Ford, I will credit him with
> the ability to channel the zeitgeist and put it on screen. The
> moral confusions and equivalencies of the times are certainly
> present in the narrative.

The Searchers looms large because it basically broke the genre. In what other Western would the protagonist declare something like this: "I figure a man's only good for one oath at a time. I took mine to the Confederate States of America"?

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>