[lbo-talk] South Africa to launch largest telescope in southern hemisphere

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Nov 15 04:30:11 PST 2005

Reuters.com

South Africa to launch its big eye on the sky

Mon Nov 7, 2005

By Ed Stoddard

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South Africa will launch the largest telescope in the southern hemisphere next week and aims to put itself on the map as a destination for star-gazing tourists, the country's science minister said on Friday.

President Thabo Mbeki will formally initiate the Southern African Large Telescope (SALT) on Thursday at an observatory near the town of Sutherland in the remote and arid Karoo region, famed for its big skies.

"This puts us on the map as an astronomy destination. We are able to use our geographic advantage as the Karoo is very dry and clear and good for observing the universe," said Science and Technology Minister Mosibudi Mangena.

"There are also certain areas of the universe that are better viewed from the southern hemisphere," he told Reuters in a telephone interview.

The large and small Magellanic clouds, galaxies which orbit our own Milky way, can be seen from the southern hemisphere but not the northern and are close enough for detailed study.

"We see a lot of scientists coming this way but also ordinary people who are coming to Sutherland to see our telescopes," Mangena said.

"So science tourism is likely to be boosted from the launch of SALT," he said.

SALT is a massive hexagon 12 metres in diameter which is comprised of many smaller mirrored hexagons.

SALT will enable scientists to view stars and galaxies a billion times too faint to be visible to the naked eye.

It will also probe quasars, which resemble bright stars but are in fact black holes at the center of galaxies and are some of the most distant objects in the universe.

The light reaching us now was emitted billions of years ago when they were young and so such observation sheds clues on the evolution of the universe. Mangena also said that South Africa was bidding for an even bigger astronomical prize -- to build and host the square kilometre array (SKA), an international project that will be the largest telescope ever built and is estimated to cost in the region of $1 billion.

"We are bidding to host the SKA and are building a smaller version of it in the Karoo to show that we have the capability to build the big one," he said.

He said the winning country was expected to be announced in 2008. The SKA will consist of many small antennas, with a dense inner core.

Scientists hope it will help them trace the origin of the stars and galaxies and understand how planets are formed.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.