[lbo-talk] Did cyclists kill Jesus?

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Wed Nov 16 11:16:15 PST 2005

Spurred by reports that anti-car activists are avid followers of Pol Pot and that mass transit is a Nazi extermination camp plot, the Sandwichman has been inspired to examine the proposition: did bicycle fanatics crucify Jesus Christ?

At first glance, the question may seem absurd and anachronistic. After all, the bicycle wasn't invented until more than 18 centuries after the crucifixion. But consider that the gothic arch wasn't around in those days either, yet who would deny a cathedral is Christian? They may not have been wearing spandex, but those mobs baying for the Lord's blood were pedestrians. And bicycle fanatics are always going on about how they are the best friends of pedestrians and transit riders, aren't they? Study of the occult classic, The Protocols of the Elders of Schwinn, confirms the existence of a proto-bike cult -- with it's bizarre Satanic rituals involving chains, cranks and tiny leather seats perched on a pole -- in the middle east decades before the start of the Christian era.

'Heartfield', the 'hilarious' wrote:

>But don't be shy, Tom, let us know about your 'reports' so we can all have a look at them.

Gee, 'James', I wrote my 'report' about 12 'years' ago and I doubt there are any 'copies' of it extant. I can 'tell' you though it was about the extension of the (Vancouver) Skytrain system to Coquitlam and it was 'presented' to the 'Burnaby' municipal council by my 'client', a shopping centre 'developer' named Cambridge Capital. My 'report' actually recommended 'against' extension of the line and recommended the implementation of an express bus route 'instead'. The main 'thrust' of the 'report' was to show that the transit authority cost estimates were 'incorrect' because they failed to account for per-rider amortization of capital costs in the Skytrain expansion. So you see my 'report' even turned out to be against building a costly and inefficient train line. I was 'paid' for it and the proposed transit line was 'scrapped'. But I guess you'll just have to take my 'word' for it, won't you old chap? But then you trust me that I've 'stopped' beating my 'wife', I've 'never' beaten my 'wife' and I 'don't' even 'have' a 'wife', don't you? . The Sandwichman