[lbo-talk] Discontinuance of M3 - Hang On

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:15:30 PST 2005

I think what M3 might well measure is the narrow availability of credit-money. There's no reason to think that this cannot be somewhat independent of economic growth or inflation. I'd say the 2002-2003 numbers clearly reflect the Fed's turning on the liquidity firehose in an attempt to knock the stock market out of the anti-bubble it was in (or at least another phase of the anti-bubble). See:

http://www.ess.ucla.edu/faculty/sornette/prediction/index.asp#prediction

I think there has certainly been asset inflation, taking real estate into account.

As you know from previous discussions, I think the economy is a probabilistic thing and nobody should expect one thing to deterministically increase when another increases. If you do the things the Fed did in the early 2000s, you expect that the amount of deposits and liquid, short-term assets will LIKELY increase and that increase will LIKELY reduce the marginal propensity of the people who have that money to panic and sell and increase their marginal propensity to take courage and buy. Of course excessive monetary growth with reduced marginal gain in economic activity is dangerous and courts currency disaster.

Again, as the M3 increases get big, I think it's entirely expected that the supply-side Fed would start to de-emphasize it.

peace

boddi