[lbo-talk] Dylan

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Wed Nov 16 15:48:29 PST 2005

joanna

Louis Kontos wrote:

>I sent the message before finishing by mistake. Sorry.
>
>I was going to ask Joanna how she can make the claim that Dylan has not

>matured as an artist without referencing any of his recent music as a
>basis of comparison. Also, I'd like to ask whether the comment
>(Joanna's) about Dylan being a 'poseur' still stands after the comment
>(Joanna's) that Dylan produced good 'early' music?

I would say that in the early period, his music is so entwined with the zeitgeist that it's impossible to say whether he was a poseur or not. And yet, it would never occur to me to accuse Janis Joplin of simulating anything even though her music is largely based on Big Mama Thorton.

I'll say this for Dylan: Hendrix loved his music and was inspired by it.