[lbo-talk] Dylan

Louis Kontos Louis.Kontos at liu.edu
Wed Nov 16 19:48:00 PST 2005

Without taking anything away from Hendrix (whom Dylan once acknowledged as doing the only cover version of any of his songs, any of the hundreds that have been covered, that he cared to listened to), I have to ask, what's the point of this comparison? (Also to Joanna: what's the point of comparing Dylan to Johnson? You like Johnson better --- so what?) It seems, on this list anyway, that Dylan is a source of aggravation, who can only be redeemed (as some contributors feel that he must) by way of referencing his influence on less controversial figures, or by some other means. Give it a break already. Dylan has written one masterpiece after another. He's been a source (among the most important) of a countercultural movement. None of this can be denied. Yet, people still feel the need to denigrate Dylan for whatever (in their eyes) he failed to do. Their standards of judgments apparently do not apply to anybody else, and not to themselves -- I'd love to see someone hold up their own life to the kind of scrutiny and judgment they hold up Dylan's. Regarding the relationship between popular music and social and political movements, I don't hear anybody saying anything about the numerous 'poseurs' we all know and have learned not to say a word about. I would bet anything that if someone said that Meminem is a bunch of crap, or that P.Diddy (who only steals other people's music and changes a few words around, always for the worse), is a bunch of crap, I'd bet 10 (no less than ten) of the poseurs on this list would say something seemingly profound in their defense. If anybody on this list wants to talk about Dylan's music in a serious way, I'll respond. Otherwise, this is the last time I'm taking the bait. Everyone can listen to whatever they want -- there's no need for this idiotic commentary.