[lbo-talk] Why are we still turning to Dylan forthesoundtracktoour demonstrations?

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Nov 16 19:46:45 PST 2005

Yes Louis, agreed. Dylan produced some masterpieces. "Pawn in their Game" about Medgar Evers murder. He showed up in Mississippi to sing that at a gathering of some civil rights movement people after Evers was dead. "Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" about the shit we have been experiencing since well he wrote this song. The line, "I'll know my song well before I start singing" I think is genius. So that period of his work I admire. Later works, less so mostly because I think he retreated into the personal and those just simply do not appeal to me as much. The melody of Mr. Tambourine Man is lovely. Dylan criticized the Byrd's rendition of it calling it POP or something to that effect. He never wanted to be a social movement persona but he did go through a phase where he deeply admired Woody Guthrie's work. Then he went for himself. He loves women. That is what he cares about, his personal relations, not politics. True his fortune has made him be capable of forgetting about politics... I think he is completely apolitical now. Sorry if some of this is a repeat of what has already been stated. I did not read all the threads.

Marta