[lbo-talk] Re: shake & bake

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Nov 17 09:08:37 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

> I'm sure the U.S. military is using the same rule they used in Vietnam.
> If they're dead, they're enemy combatants, as the vets explained in the
> Winter Soldier investigation. The Winter Soldier film is worth seeing
> again. It's been reissued and this time it's actually playing in
> theaters.

I second that, and just want to add that according to their website, it's going to finally be distributed on DVD in January 2006. It is very very worth seeing. It's not just about Vietnam, but about the whole deep problem of how ordinary people can do horrible things and then return to being ordinary people -- a question which no medium addresses as well as extended visual interviews. It's also a remarkable example of how the entire country can hear the truth from witnesses in the town square at high noon and simply refuse to hear it and then forget it as if it never happened. And why it is so hard it is for such witness to ever come forth. So you could be in exactly the same situation now -- with the war in Iraq exactly as full of atrocities as Vietnam -- and you wouldn't know, you couldn't know, because people wouldn't say.

It sounds like it's just good for you, but it's a remarkably compelling film to watch all the way to the end.

Michael