[lbo-talk] Gender: why do you want to know?

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Nov 17 16:39:18 PST 2005

I used to think I had it all straight about gender. Then, when my daughter was about two years old, playing one of the many "what is it" kind of games one plays with two-year olds, I asked her to tell me whether so and so was a boy or girl. She seemed a little confused by the question. I don't remember whether she got the first question "right" or not, but continued questioning revealed that she was getting about 1 out of 4 "wrong." I distinctly remember that she guessed Grandma was a boy; otherwise, I don't remember the specifics. What I will never forget is the extreme anxiety she experienced after this conversation. Formerly careless about her dress, she now swung into a anxiously hyper-feminine phase, and for the next couple of years would not step out of the house except in frilly dresses, jewlery, and every other mark of "femaleness" that could be scrounged around the house. I took a deep breath and just went with it because this is the kind of mistake (mine) that you can't just back out of. You kind of just have to let it run its course. By the time she was five, she was once again extremely comfortable wearing whatever the occasion (rather than ideology) demanded, and she has been fine since.

What this taught me is to let the whole gender thing go. And when the issue of correct labeling or intrinsic difference comes up, what mainly interests me is "why do you want to know"? I can think of four cases right off the bat where knowing makes a difference:

-- If I'm a doctor, I would probably be interested in whether a patient is male or female, because they present illness in different ways. For example, generally, men have very different symptoms for heart attacks than women.

-- If I'm a woman trying to get pregnant, then I'm very interested in whether my mate is physically capable of making that happen.

-- When I tell my kids what to do if they get lost in a crowd, I say "ask a woman for help. It's much safer. And I trust them to be able to find a woman....by the conventional signs...in the crowd."

-- If I were a psychoanalyst, I feel that I would need to know both what gender a patient is perceived as belonging to and which they perceive themselves to belong to; and I also want to know about all their gender-related fantisizing and imaginings -- because it's a deep and pervasive psychic metaphor.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why I would need to know or why it would matter.

Joanna