[lbo-talk] Gender: why do you want to know?

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 16:57:49 PST 2005

C. Joanna,

First, all mothers panic about the effect they may have had on their children but I know better than to try and persuade you that you did no damage then and certainly no lasting damage. I remember that when my friend's daughter was about 4 she simply would not accept the idea that my partner and I lived together and were not married. The world was strictly divided into unmarried people who lived alone and married people who lived in pairs (lesbian and straight, by the way). Even when she saw our apartment she didn't believe it (one bedroom was mine and the other was my partner's, according to her - despite the fact that "mine" was clearly an office). Then she saw that we both had the same cat. She had accepted that we weren't married and for some reason the sharing of the cat persuaded her that we were a couple.

But I think your admonition to your kids of finding a woman rather than a man if they were lost sort of supports my point. We know that men are much more likely to be criminals than women and much, much, much more likely to be pedophiles than women. This is true in all cultures and has never, to my knowledge, not been true. That one gender is associated with sexual violence almost exclusively is, I think, strong evidence of the different sexuality between men and women. Men just objectify much more easily than women do and I don't think there can be any question about that, given the mountain of behavioral evidence.

boddi