[lbo-talk] Gender: why do you want to know?

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Thu Nov 17 17:06:23 PST 2005

From: joanna <123hop at comcast.net>

> I used to think I had it all straight about gender.

I think that's a very male way of looking at it.

> Then, when my daughter was about two years old

Mine is two and a half, and when on Monday she and my nearly four year old niece decided they were going to have a baby, I told them I thought that was very nice. Then they wanted to shower together, behind my desk. I'm hoping it balances out the church stuff.

> What this taught me is to let the whole gender thing go. And when the
issue of correct labeling or intrinsic difference comes up, what mainly interests me is "why do you want to know"? I can think of four cases right off the bat where knowing makes a difference:

<snip>

> Otherwise, I'm not sure why I would need to know or why it would matter.

You forgot wanting to get laid--many of us have gender preferences in that situation--otherwise, it was a pretty comprehensive list.