[lbo-talk] Re: No cock left behind

Etienne tim_boetie at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 18 17:04:23 PST 2005

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 10:44:22 +1100, "Bill Bartlett" <billbartlett at dodo.com.au> said:
> its a class thing. This style of writing, in other words, is a
> systematic form of exclusion. It could be written in plain English,
> but instead it is written in such a way as to make it impossible for
> some and at least difficult for many to comprehend. The sub-text is

Quite right. And the working class never read Capital either (or, for that matter, the Bible).

I agree that clear writing is admirable. However, I'm suspicious of this attack on complicated writing in the name of some imagined working class other who, poor simpleton that they are, couldn't possibly understand it. It strikes me as both lacking in historical perspective and, well, pretty damn patronising. --

"The bourgeois want art voluptuous and life ascetic; the

reverse would be better."

-- Adorno Tim http://www.huh.34sp.com/