[lbo-talk] A sample from Bob Dylan's memoir

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 19 06:21:48 PST 2005

--- John Adams <jadams01 at sprynet.com> wrote:

> From: andie nachgeborenen
> <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>
> > Incidentally, he occasionally has done protest
> music
> post Bringing It All Back Home
>
> Actually, there's a protest song on there, one which
> disproves Phil Ochs: Just because you can mistake
> "Maggie's Farm" for bullshit doesn't mean it's not
> protest music.

Also on Highway 61, Desolation Row has prortest elements -- it starts out with selling postcards of the hanging -- which lunch mobs used to do, and has a lot of other political elements. And Highway 61 itself has the bit about the drunken gambler trying to create the next world war. He never got totally away from politics, he just neversettled for easy answers. What do you expect of a guy whose first big hit was alist of questions?

> > Me, my favorite Bob is the most "narcissistic,"
> hallucinogenic stuff of the mid-60s, Bringing It All
> Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, the Basement Tapes.
>
> I still listen to The Basement Tapes a lot, but
> they're a different creature from the legit
> releases.

The remastered boot basement tapes are an experience.

> > That's the stuff I return to again and again from
> really absurd Bob collection (every legit recording
> and 50-some bootlegs).
>
> You can't get a real appreciation of Dylan without
> the bootlegs--he and Hendrix are the two musicians
> of whom I'd say that. (Well, and I guess Prince,
> given the Black Album.) There's a moment on _Western
> Electric_ where he starts playing "Desolation Row",
> and the crowd actually laughs at the line "the other
> is in his pants". It _is_ a funny line, but the
> studio recording taught us to take it serious--big
> mistake. (I also like when he asks the guy with the
> airhorn, "What are you trying to say? What do you
> _mean_?")

And the misnamed Royal Albert Hall electric set (now released as Bob Live in 66, the Bootleg Series, possibly the mosty intense 50 minutews of rock and roll ever recorded. . . .