[lbo-talk] A sample from Bob Dylan's memoir

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 12:01:01 PST 2005

On 11/19/05, John Adams <jadams01 at sprynet.com> wrote:(I also like when he asks the guy with the airhorn, "What are you trying to say? What do you _mean_?")

Cf. on the bootleg that was released officially, finally in the 90's from the tour of the UK in the mid-60's when you can hear the disgrunted fan shout, "Judas!, " over Dylan going electric, he says, "You're a liar! You're a fucking liar!" Then Dylan and the Band blow away the audience with, "Like a Rolling Stone."

Leftist "folk" protest music sub-culture since the days of Sing Out! edited by humorless Irwin Silber back in the day, as Jesse Lemisch in a classic from The Nation, circa early 80's, "I Dreamed I Saw MTV Last Night, " on Seeger et. al. has always had its element of the schmaltz that the Partisan Review crowd from the late 30's like Clement Greenberg found nationalistic and mythological in the CPUSA Popular Front ersatz cultural offerings. -- Michael Pugliese