[lbo-talk] up-er-down?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 19 09:05:30 PST 2005

Kevin Robert Dean wrote:

>H.Res. __
>
>Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the
>deployment of United States forces in Iraq be terminated immediately.
>
>Resolved, That it is the sense of the House of Representatives that
>the deployment of United States forces in Iraq be terminated
>immediately.

For, of course, but I'm not in the House, which voted 403-3 against. (The 3: McKinney, Serrano, Wexler.) It was a clever move by the Republicans to make the Democrats squirm. Six months is too quick for them. Fighting Nancy Pelosi, once described on the cover of The Nation as "ready to rumble," is trying to "distance" herself from Murtha's resolution, as the NYT put it today. Considering how the surprise move of one Representative, Murtha, has changed the discourse, what would happen if Pelosi led her delegation in that direction?

Doug