[lbo-talk] Chomsky on Kosovo in 1999

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 09:27:56 PST 2005

On 11/19/05, Michael Givel <mgivel at earthlink.net> wrote:
> This is what Chomsky was saying in 1999 about Serbia, which is at the heart
> of why his position on Kosovo is still controversial today. Also, was it
> genocide or ethnic cleansing or a "humanitarian crisis?"

Chomsky has been very slippery on this esp. as compared to Edward Herman his co-writer who is explicit that he thinks the Serbian Army and Arkan's paramilitaries committed no acts of massive ethnic cleansing.

Besides James Heartfield who did send me offlist a reply, which I'll get to today replying myself to, it would help if Doug, Gar, Dennis and others who can't seem to admit to any questionable, let alone flat out wrong viewpoints/"facts" from Chomsky over the Balkan conflicts, the two vols. he co-wrote with Edward Herman, critiqued in the sources I sent yesterday, would bother to read them. The respect I retain for Chomsky which somehow I retain, since I started reading him in the late 70's is really tested by his obdurate inability to admit any mistakes ever, about the Khmer Rouge, the, "relatively apolitical liberal, " called Faurrisson that any reader of a few pgs. would have seen is a Fascist Holocaust Denier, or anything else. And what about this statement from Noam? http://arutzsheva.org/article.php3?id=4680

Shortly thereafter, Chomsky went so far as to claim, in private correspondence with the Australian journalist William Rubenstein, that he saw nothing anti-Semitic about Holocaust denial:

"I see no anti-Semitic implications in denial of the existence of gas chambers, or even denial of the holocaust. Nor would there be anti-Semitic implications, per se, in the claim that the holocaust (whether one believes it took place or not) is being exploited, viciously so, by apologists for Israeli repression and violence. I see no hint of anti-Semitic implications in Faurisson's work..." [1]

-- Michael Pugliese