[lbo-talk] Chomsky v Marko

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Nov 19 19:59:36 PST 2005

M.A. Hoare wrote:

> Yes, I've heard such defences of the Communist system. But I'm sure if
> the Communist system was so wonderful, the East Europeans wouldn't
> have risen against it in 1989.

The uprising was not against communism, it was against corrupt leadership and ossified bureaucracies. Yes, tere were some folks who yearned for market relations: half of them were black marketeers and the other half were those self-same bureaucrats and party bosses -- who found capitalist religion and took their place among the many "leaders" around the world who were prepared to sell their country down the river for a western lifestyle. May they rot in hell!

> As for the crimes of Ceausescu having "nothing to do with Romania's
> 'Communist' regime" - I find that a somewhat bizarre statement...

Well, if "communist" is the same as "totalitarian" to you, then it is a bizarre statement. They are not equivalent in my mind.

But, I think, if we talk about the past, we will keep talking past each other.

What kind of society do you think is worth building? Now.

Joanna