[lbo-talk] Chomsky v Marko

M.A. Hoare mah20 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Nov 19 18:52:42 PST 2005

>I was born in Romania in 1954. It was not heaven to be sure; there was
>political repression, this is true. There was also free medical care,
>free child care, nearly free housing, nearly free transportation, and
>free and excellent public education. The ascent and crimes of Ceausescu
>had nothing to do with Romania's "communist" regime as it had to do with
>the absence of democracy. At any rate, when I lived in Bucharest there
>were not thousands of children living in its sewers, as there are now.

Yes, I've heard such defences of the Communist system. But I'm sure if the Communist system was so wonderful, the East Europeans wouldn't have risen against it in 1989. As for the crimes of Ceausescu having "nothing to do with Romania's 'Communist' regime" - I find that a somewhat bizarre statement...